Monday, August 28, 2017

Thoughts about slowing down & thankfulness!!!

 I don't need to tell you how busy & chaotic life can be. You already know it because you're living it as well. Of course some days are busier than others, but all in all we live in a too fast paced society that needs to slow down. Much of that is to our own choosing but somethings just happen because of the day & age we live in. I think we need to be more deliberate about scheduling times with a friend to chat over coffee or tea, to relax & read a good book, to take a walk & breathe in the goodness of God's beautiful Creation.
 I have found the older I get I like to move slower in the mornings. Not just physically, haha, but mentally. I purposely moved furniture around this past weekend(with the help of Noah) so I could have a table & chairs on my front porch to enjoy my coffee on & do my devotions after dropping the kids off to school. I realize that not all mornings can or will go that way but the ones that do I thoroughly enjoy and am thankful for.
 I've also realized the older I get to take the time to find something to be thankful for no matter how hard or wonderful my day went. Somethings might even sound silly that we're thankful for, but I still think it's important to think on thankfulness instead of everything that didn't go the way we would've liked that day. For example during James' surgery I was thankful for the cute coffee stand at Akron Children's hospital. I could enjoy a white chocolate mocha as I waited to hear about James. During my foster kiddos visit with their family I sometimes walk around the thrift store next door & am thankful for cheap little treasures to brighten our home. Even more important than things are people. Awhile back I was emotionally in a hard situation about one of my kiddos. I made one phone call to my parents & they came to serve us & love on us. That is defiently something to be thankful for. This past Sunday Pastor Sam preached a sermon on the fear of the Lord. Wow, is an understatement. He was an open vessel for God to speak through. In all my years of life I had never heard the fear of the Lord explained in such a way that spoke such Truth to my heart. I am thankful that God's Word is still alive & shaping & molding our hearts regardless of our age.
So what will you choose to do this week to slow down? I'm heading to the library later to pick out another great book from Francine Rivers. Who will you schedule to have coffee or tea with just to chat & catch up? I really need to do this too. What will you find to be thankful for today, tomorrow & each day after that? Today I am thankful for you dear reader. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read what God has laid on my heart to share.

1 comment:

  1. Monica, you have no idea how you and April help me. So proud of you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete